For those seeking high-quality closedback headphones under $1000, there are several impressive options to consider. Each model offers a unique blend of sound quality, comfort, and design, catering to a variety of preferences.
1. Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro
The Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro Studio Headphone is a premium choice for professionals in mixing, mastering, monitoring, and recording. Made in Germany, these headphones boast a 250-ohm impedance and feature 45 mm dynamic Tesla neodymium drivers.
The design includes a single-sided, detachable cable with mini-XLR connectors and a nominal sound pressure level of 102 dB SPL (1mW/500Hz).
Comfort is a priority with soft, replaceable ear pads and headbands, ensuring long studio sessions are manageable. Additionally, the package includes two types of ear pads (velour and leatherette), two cables (coiled and straight, both 3m long), and a premium carrying case. The headphone frequency response ranges from 5 to 40,000 Hz.
- High-quality Tesla neodymium drivers for clear, detailed sound.
- Comfortable design with replaceable ear pads for extended use.
- Versatile with both coiled and straight cables included.
- High impedance might require additional amplification for optimal use.
- The price may be steep for hobbyists.
2. Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon
The DROP + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Planar Magnetic Headphones (Aeon Closed X) in blue/black, represent a significant evolution in the world of planar magnetic headphones.
Following the success of the Aeon Open X, this closed-back variation offers the same warm, punchy audio known in the Aeon Flow Series, but with an improved soundstage due to partially fenestrated earpads and reduced driver dampening.
These features help to even the tone and minimize reverberation. Moreover, the Aeon Closed X provides substantial passive noise isolation, making it versatile for both home and on-the-go listening.
- Planar magnetic technology for detailed and balanced audio.
- Enhanced soundstage with innovative earpad design.
- Effective passive noise isolation is suitable for various environments.
- Closed-back design might limit the openness of sound compared to open-back models.
- Planar magnetic headphones can be heavier and might require a more powerful source.
3. Focal Celeste
The Focal Celestee High-End Closed-Back Over-Ear Wired Headphones combine superior sound quality with an elegant design.
They feature a striking Navy Blue finish accented with Soft Copper details, enhancing their aesthetic appeal.
Engineered for both home and on-the-go use, these headphones boast remarkable sound performance, including an incredible bass extension and tonal balance that is unrivaled in their category.
Additionally, their low impedance of 35 Ohms ensures uncompromised performance with portable audio players.
- Excellent sound performance with deep bass and balanced tonality.
- Stylish design with high-quality materials and a distinctive color scheme.
- Low impedance makes them ideal for use with various portable devices.
- Being high-end, they might be on the pricier side for some users.
- Closed-back design may not offer the same soundstage as open-back models.
4. Shure SRH1540
The Shure SRH1540 Premium Closed-Back Headphones are designed to cater to the needs of professional audio/sound engineers, musicians, and audiophiles.
They feature 40 mm neodymium drivers which deliver superior acoustic performance, encompassing an expansive soundstage with clear, extended highs and warm bass.
The diaphragm of these headphones is developed with APTIV Film for improved linearity and lower Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
Their closed-back, circumaural design not only ensures comfortable wear over the ears but also effectively reduces background noise. Additionally, their lightweight construction incorporates an aircraft-grade aluminum alloy yoke and carbon fiber cap, enhancing their durability.
The steel driver frame, with a vented center pole piece, is designed to improve linearity and eliminate internal resonance, ensuring consistent performance at all listening levels.
- High-quality audio performance with clear highs and deep bass.
- Durable and lightweight design, suitable for extended use.
- Effective noise isolation due to the closed-back design.
- May be comparatively expensive for casual users.
- Closed-back design might limit the soundstage compared to open-back models.
You can also read my other review:
- Best Closed back headphone under $50
- Best Closed back headphones under $300
- Best ClosedBack Audiophile Headphones for Gaming
5. Neumann NDH 20 Closed Back
The Neumann NDH 20 is a set of closed-back monitoring professional studio headphones designed for various applications such as gaming, mixing, mastering, and audio or video production.
These headphones come with a 3M straight cable with a 1/8” stereo connector and a 1/4” adaptor and feature a nickel-colored, circumaural form factor.
The NDH 20 is known for its linear sound balance, akin to Neumann’s acclaimed studio monitors, providing a transparent sound with high resolution. They offer excellent isolation, which is ideal for working in noisy environments.
Notably, these headphones are comfortable for long-term use and are easy to transport. With a 150 Ohm impedance, they are best utilized with a pre-amp or headphone amp for optimal performance.
- Linear and transparent sound signature, suitable for professional monitoring.
- Excellent noise isolation, ideal for noisy environments.
- Comfortable for extended use and easy to transport.
- Requires a pre-amp or headphone amp for the best experience due to high impedance.
- May not be the best choice for casual listening due to their professional tuning.
6.Dekoni x HIFIMAN
The Dekoni x HIFIMAN Cobalt Closed Back Headphones are designed for audiophiles, offering a unique combination of superior sound accuracy and comfort. These wired, over-ear headphones feature a carbon-coated diaphragm that captures every musical detail, particularly enhancing high-frequency transients.
True-to-life stereo imaging is achieved through a foam piece behind the driver, reducing standing waves and creating an immersive sound stage. Additionally, these headphones allow for a customizable audio experience, with modifiable ear cup interiors to tailor the sound to personal preferences.
The HIFIMAN-designed headband ensures even pressure distribution across the head, enhancing comfort during long listening sessions. The inclusion of Dekoni Audio Fenestrated Sheepskin pads and Elite Velour ear pads offer not only comfort and breathability but also different sound tuning options, making these headphones versatile for various listening situations.
- Superior sound reproduction with enhanced high-frequency details.
- Customizable audio experience with modifiable ear cups.
- Unmatched comfort with the HIFIMAN-designed headband and versatile ear pads.
- Wired connectivity might limit mobility compared to wireless options.
- Customization might require some technical knowledge or interest.
What is the sound signature of the Aeon Closed X headphones?
The Aeon Closed X headphones are known for their warm audio signature, offering a wide soundstage. They are designed to deliver detailed sound with a comfortable fit.
Are the Aeon Closed X headphones comfortable for long listening sessions?
Yes, users have found them comfortable for extended periods, thanks to their design and the materials used.
Can I customize the sound of the Aeon Closed X?
These headphones allow for some degree of customization. Users can modify the ear cup interior to tailor the sound to their preferences.
What are the primary materials used in the Aeon Closed X headphones?
The headphones feature a NiTinol headband with leather suspension, a plastic frame with carbon fiber insert/baffle, and protein leather pads with foam lining.
What is the frequency response of these headphones?
The Aeon Closed X headphones have a frequency response of 20 Hz–20 kHz.
Is there any need for additional amplification with these headphones?
With an impedance of 12.5 Ω, they may benefit from additional amplification for optimal performance, but they can still perform well without it.
What are the key features of the Aeon Closed X?
Key features include superior sound reproduction, true-to-life stereo imaging, customizable audio experience, unbeatable comfort, and versatile ear pads.
How durable are the Aeon Closed X headphones?
They are known for their durability, featuring high-quality materials like carbon fiber and NiTinol.
The DROP + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X Headphones offer a warm audio signature, comfortable fit, and customizable sound, making them a great choice for audiophiles seeking quality and versatility in their listening experience.